Friday, November 19, 2010

Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Title:  Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)
Author:  Cassandra Clare
Pages:  478 pages; 20 chapters
Release Date:  August 31, 2010

Synopsis:
Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.


Review:
Cassandra Clare has done it again.  In her latest novel she has written a historical fiction that takes place in the same Shadowhunter world as The Mortal Instruments but with a new cast (and some familiar faces).  I love her books because they are full of humor, romance, action, adventure, suspense, major plot twists, and great imagination.  This book kept me guessing and there was never a dull moment.  If your heart isn't racing from all the action or romance, then you're holding on through the twists and turns trying to figure out the plot (which I find extremely difficult with Cassandra's books.  In a good way of course.) and making connections.  The epigraphs at the start of every chapter matched perfectly with the content of the chapters giving you a little insight as to what may happen next.  I found myself reading them numerous times before I even started the chapter.

I'm really glad she took us into the past because it's exciting to see Shadowhunters in another country and in a different time period before all the technology of cell phones, sensors, and cars.  I even enjoyed reading about the architecture of London and the books that Tessa likes to read.  Tessa's ability of transformation is a different kind of downworlder ability that we haven't seen before and I found it very intriguing.

There are a lot of sarcastic comments that had me laughing out loud and looking a little crazy in public.  Will is my favorite because he's so mysterious and, frankly, an ass - but I still love him.  I can't help but think that there is more that lies beneath the surface causing him to behave the way he does.  Jem is sweet and secretive and I couldn't help but fall in love with him too.  Unlike The Mortal Instruments, this story contains a real love triangle and I do not envy Tessa for it (okay maybe a little... alright A LOT. Get off my back).
Tessa saw Jem lean in and whisper something to Will, whose mouth quirked up at the corner in a smile.  "Indeed," Will said.  "How could anyone despise us when we are so charming?"
I couldn't have said it better myself.  I usually like to mark my favorite pages so I can go back and reread them (especially if I need a pick-me-up) but I can't do that with this book.  I might as well mark every page because I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  The only problem I have with this series is having to wait a year for the next one.  Luckily, I won't have to wait long to read one of Cassandra's new books (even if it is from a different series) i.e. City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments #4) available April 5, 2011.

There is a slight cliffhanger at the end of Clockwork Angel but it didn't make me want to throw the book across the room (which I wouldn't do anyway because I love this book too much) but it does leave you pondering.

It was very difficult to pick a snippet for this review since there are so many parts I'd like to share.  I've chosen this one because it shows Will's sarcasm and humor and gives you a sense of one of the issues during the time period.
"There was a time I thought I was a ferret," Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze.  Did you know it had that effect?  Because I didn't."
This is another book that is getting added to my favorite books of 2010.  Thank you, Cassandra, for giving us another adventure to go on, another guy to drool over, and another torturous wait for the next book.

 You can look for the next book entitled Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) available September 2011.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud in public too reading this book making me look crazy ;-) Don't worry, you're not the only one!

    ReplyDelete